How to Change the Battery in Your Nissan Key Fob
Your Nissan key fob makes it quick and easy to operate your vehicle without the hassle of using a traditional key. When you have the key fob on hand, you can lock, unlock, and start the vehicle all at the push of a button. If your key fob isn’t working properly, it’s probably time for a battery replacement. Fortunately, this task is quite simple.
Step-By-Step Guide To Changing the Battery in a Nissan Key Fob
You can replace the battery in your key fob in just a few easy steps, as follows:
- Use the emergency key or a flathead screwdriver to pry apart the key fob housing.
- Note the position of the battery inside the key fob and remove it.
- Place the new battery in the key fob in the same position as the old one.
- Realign the two halves of the key fob housing and press to snap them together.
Understanding Your Key Fob
When it’s working properly, the Nissan key fob’s functionality is outstanding. This small yet powerful device allows you to get in and out of your vehicle without inserting a traditional key and start it with just the push of a button. However, when your key fob’s battery starts to die, you may notice that it doesn’t work as well as it should.
The most important thing you need to know about your Nissan key fob is that it’s not the only tool you can use to access and drive your vehicle. If the battery dies completely and the key fob no longer works, you’re not simply stranded in the middle of your errands in Youngstown. You can still use the backup key to operate your vehicle. To use the backup key, follow these steps:
- Press the release latch on the back of your key fob.
- While holding the latch, pull the emergency key out of the bottom of the key fob.
- Use the key to unlock the doors on your vehicle.
- Look for the key fob port inside your vehicle. Your owners manual can help you find its exact location. Note that some Nissan vehicles do not have a key fob port.
- If your vehicle has a key fob port, insert your key fob, press the brake, and push the start/stop button to start the vehicle. If your vehicle does not have a key fob port, press the brake, and hold the emergency key to the start/stop button as you press it.
This will get your vehicle going again so you can head to the nearest store and pick up the appropriate battery to get your key fob working.
When To Replace the Key Fob Battery
Keep an eye out for battery replacement signs that let you know your key fob battery is near the end of its life. You’ll need a new battery soon if:
- Your key fob suddenly has a shorter range.
- The key fob operates inconsistently.
- You need to push the key fob buttons multiple times to get a response.
Important Safety Considerations
As with all electronic components, you should handle your key fob with care. Change the battery in a clean area without distractions so you don’t lose or damage the battery or other components if you drop it.
Choosing the Right Battery
Most Nissan key fobs use a CR2025 or CR2032 battery. Your owners manual will let you know exactly which battery to buy. If you don’t have the manual at hand, give us a call at Cochran Cars, and we’ll look up the information for you.
If you can’t start your Nissan with the key fob after replacing the battery, you might need to reset it. To do this:
- Sit in the vehicle and lock the doors.
- Put the key in the ignition and pull it out again without starting the vehicle. Repeat this process until the hazard lights flash twice.
- Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the first position to activate the electronics without starting the engine.
- Press any button on the key fob.
This should reprogram the device and restore full Nissan key fob functionality.
Troubleshooting Key Fob Issues
If the key fob doesn’t work with a new battery even after you’ve reset it, you may have a different problem. If the car works fine with the emergency key, the issue is likely with the key fob itself, and you may need to replace it. If the car unlocks with the key fob but doesn’t start, you may have a problem with the ignition cylinder in the vehicle. If the vehicle starts but doesn’t lock or unlock, the issue probably lies with the locking mechanism. Our Nissan service center can help you get to the bottom of the problem.
Stay On Top of Essential Maintenance for Your Nissan Vehicle
Regularly replacing the battery in your key fob is one small part of keeping up with routine vehicle maintenance. It’s important to keep on top of regular maintenance checks on all vehicle components, including seemingly minor ones, such as the key fob. If you need assistance with your key fob or other maintenance tasks in Boardman and Youngstown, Ohio, bring your vehicle to Cochran Cars. We can help you find the parts and accessories you need for any upgrade or repair.